The house is not so empty these days, not with the boy home from
college and now I've got one of his best friends as a house guest
as well. Seems that the other boy's parents moved away to Chicago
just after graduation last year and we did say he could spend the
summer here, at least as long as I live here.
They are good kids, they play HALO (killing each other online),
watch the basketball games, and of course, they play poker.
Lots of poker.
Now I don't mind all the poker as long as I'm not shelling out
gas money that is going to card games.
But the whole card game issue was elevated to an entirely new level
last night, during a conversation that I had with the Mrs.
We were discussing the plan A vs. plan B thing when she brought
up a point that is causing me to rethink the whole A vs. B thing.
Now that I'm emotionally a little more removed from my anger at
not being accepted, I can see lots of reasons for staying in NM,
and some of them are financially staggering.
The issue at hand however, is when is no, really no?
Take my career for example.
One spring day back in 1977 I walked the two miles out of the woods
to get my mail and opened the following letter:
May 6, 1977
Star Route, River Road
I very much enjoyed the opportunity to meet with you and I appreciate
your interest and enthusiasm in considering a possible career with
Big Financial Company. However, on the basis of your initial test
results, I do not feel that this particular field is suitable for
I wish you every success for the future...yadda yadda.
Sounds like a no.
I didn't agree.
I picked up the phone and called and got a hold of SM and we talked
for a minute and I told him that his test was bogus, and I wasn't.
I remember telling him that it was patently transparent and since
I told the truth, there was no possible way I could pass it, but
if he wanted me to lie through my teeth, I'd pass it with honors.
They liked the approach (not taking no for an answer is good for
a sales position) and let me retake the test.
Twenty eight years, almost to the day later, I'm still in this
same business, slid over to the right a bit, but still here.
The letter is framed, along with two others, after meeting and
exceeding company guidelines over a 3 year period. The third letter
still makes me smile:
September 25, 1980
OK! So I Was Wrong!
Anyway, what's this got to do with NM and law school?
For some time now, I've realized that I just might have another
card to play to try and get into the original school.
This card has to do with the whole concept of 6 degrees of separation,
meaning that all of us are only 6 people apart from knowing any
one other specific person.... but in this case, its 2 degrees from
me, one degree from my wife.
So when you are turned down at a college, in a state where you
have zero connections, what cam you do next?
If you've got no cards, then how do you play?
And if you would, or could, to whom would you appeal and what influence
could you bring to bear?
My cards as of now are spent. But this is also a joint effort,
and Mrs. still might have her own card to play. We've discussed
the situation over the last week, and although she gave me permission
to play it the day I found out I was turned down, I wasn't in the
mood, I was too angry and too upset to even consider it.
Then I flipped and flopped back and forth from the stormin Norman
approach to an "F" them and the horse they rode in on.
If they don't want me, I'm not begging.
Things changed however, once I got such a positive response from
ASU. Spouse and I talked again I told her that since she really
liked her job, I felt that the card was hers to play, and hers alone.
I also told her that if she played it, and it worked, I'd support
her call. It's a card after all, and also a favor, but you gotta
know when to call it in.
Timing, and who you know, can often make massive differences in
how events turn out in life. And is it even a favor, if someone
suggests, like they did last night, "You know what, Mrs. NSR,
I've got this card I can give you to play, and shall I pick up the
phone and make a call, on your behalf?
When is no, no?
Mrs. was very thankful for the gracious offer of assistance and
suggested that perhaps it would be best to wait and see if I did
indeed get another offer elsewhere.
So now, another joins us in the wait.